Smart Home Cleaning Gadgets for the Fastidious Tech Lover
Hate to clean? Let these smart home gadgets do the cleaning for you!
If you’ve ever wished the floor would mop itself and all the dust bunnies could just magically disappear, you’re not the only one. Lucky for you, eliminating dust bunnies and other grime has never been easier. Thanks to smart home cleaning devices, now even tech lovers can enjoy keeping things tidy.
Or at least you can enjoy programming the devices to do it for you.
The first word you probably think of when it comes to smart home cleaning is Roomba. But the world of automatic cleaning devices has grown a lot since the first robot vacuum blindly bumped its way across a living room. These devices have evolved beyond just vacuuming.
Meanwhile, the industry continues to grow. New smart cleaning products are constantly appearing on the market, with most able to sync to mobile devices and smart home assistants. While many of these still have some growing pains to overcome, devices that have been around awhile, like robot vacuums, have improved tremendously since their inception.
Here are just a few new cleaning gadgets to help automate your cleaning chores.
For the floors
Floor cleaning robots are the most evolved of the smart home cleaning family. There are robotic vacuums, robotic mops[KK1] , and some that even do both. Many of them can be programmed via mobile apps or voice commands through your Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Vacuum – iRobot Roomba 690 Roomba is the undisputed first king of the robot vacuum industry. There are many versions on the market. We like this one because you can control it with your smartphone via the iRobot home mobile app. It also responds to voice commands from Alexa and Google Assistant. With up to 90 minutes of run time on one charge, the Roomba 690 will sweep up all the dust, crumbs and pet hair from both hard floors and carpet before it automatically returns to the dock for recharging.
- Mop – Once the vacuuming is done, it’s time to mop. Send out the iRobot Braava 380T for dry or damp mopping on wood, tile, vinyl, stone, and laminate floors. We like that it’s compatible with 3rd party cleaning pads such as Swiffer and store brands. It has a NorthStar navigation cube to map and recall locations, starting points, obstacles, and even drop-offs.
For the windows
Ask any homeowner what their number one most-hated cleaning job is, and it’s likely to be windows. Luckily, there are new robotic products to save you time and elbow strain. Since these are the babies of the smart home cleaning family, they have some room to grow. But a few have pushed out to the head of the pack and show a lot of promise for window cleaning haters everywhere.
- Gladwell Gecko Robot Window Cleaner This little guy uses suction technology (hence the gecko part of its name) to attach to the window. It also has a safety rope attachment, so you don’t have to worry about it falling to its death from an upper story room. It’s controlled with a mobile app and is able to detect edges while it’s advanced algorithm ensures every part of the window gets scrubbed. The microfiber cleaning pads are machine washable and the device comes with a full 1-year warranty, so it’s worth a try.
For the air
Did you know your indoor air can be 5X more polluted than the outdoor air? This can affect allergies, asthma, eczema, sleep and more. While keeping your home clean helps a lot, it doesn’t remove all the nasties that get blown around your home from the HVAC system and from daily life. Dogs and cats will always produce dander, for example. Are you constantly congested and dependent on tissues? To clean the air you breathe, a high quality air purifier may be just what you need.
- Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier It may look small, but this purifier has 4 stages of filtration for up to 360 square feet of coverage and a HEPA filter efficiency rating of 99.97%. From hair to dust to microscopic allergens and contaminants, this purifier can catch it all. Better yet, it has an intuitive air quality monitor that indicates the level of pollution then adjusts its fan settings automatically for the cleaning level needed. The “eco” mode saves energy and makes it super quiet to help you sleep.
For the pool
Nobody likes a dirty pool. Nobody wants to clean it either. Well, you’re in luck. Robotic pool cleaners work as your personal pool boys. Robotic pool cleaners can be programmed for pools of various sizes with timed cleaning cycles, and then shut off automatically. These smart guys have internal microprocessors that learn the size and shape of your pool which helps them calculate the quickest, most efficient cycle. Some models have a remote control so you can enjoy a cocktail while directing it to clean specific areas that need a little more TLC.
- Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus can clean a pool up to 50 ft. long within 2 hours, 3X faster than the original model. The Active Scrubbing Brush spins 2X faster than the machine travels. Double filters (2 micron) collect the finest dirt while a spring filter with mesh screen captures large debris. Anti-tangle software prevents cord tangles better than the original swivel cords. You can program it to run on a schedule, and it has easy to clean filters. It uses an advanced algorithm to clean 100% of the pool floor, while also scrubbing walls and steps.
Look here[KK2] to browse more pool cleaner choices before it’s time to open the pool.
For the gutters
One of the most dreaded outdoor chores has finally been automated. We often neglect gutter cleaning for too long, which can lead to a leaky roof or water damage to the exterior or foundation. But cleaning gutters the traditional way can be a scary and time-consuming job. Save yourself the danger of reaching and struggling with debris from the top of a ladder and take a robotic gutter cleaner with you instead.
- iRobot Looj 330 This low-profile machine is compact enough to fit into most gutters. It reduces repeated ladder climbing and overreaching with an auger style movement that sweeps out debris as it travels along the gutter. You can set it to be fully automatic or manual (with the detachable remote control/handle) in forward and reverse directions. It cleans up to 30 feet of gutter in about 5 minutes, which is about 5X faster than what you can do manually. Included attachments help clean out different debris types.
If you’re longing to automate some dreaded cleaning tasks, now’s the time to get in on the new tech and be witness to their rapid evolution. Manufacturers are coming out with better designs with each new model. With consumer feedback, these products will only get better. Which means house cleaning will get easier. And that’s a good thing.